27 June 2011

Resting in the Shadow of the Almighty

The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid. Do not be discouraged.
- Deuteronomy 31:8


When thinking about the weeks and months ahead, I have been feeling three distinct emotions:
(1) Excitement
(2) Fear
(3) Discouragement.

The first (excitement) is a wonderful thing- it's the joyful anticipation I have because I know God is just about do something amazing! He always does at camp... it's just a special place and time where we're all more on the look-out for His works, and I'm excited to be impressed by Him this summer. The feelings of fear and discouragement, however, come not from joyfully hoping in what our Almighty God is about to do, but from a false suspicion that perhaps... just maybe... He will do absolutely nothing! Fear and discouragement about camp and the relationships we will build out there come from the hidden question: "what if He doesn't show up?" And oh what a foolish question that is! What a lack of faith in the One who has continually proven Himself faithful.

God always shows up. Even if He doesn't act in the manner I think He will/should, the reality is: He is the eternal God who dwells outside of time and space, going before us and orchestrating every good and perfect thing.

Today He reminded me that he cares more about camp than I do, and He loves my friends more than I can even imagine and He will never leave or forsake us. He's already in the future that I fear and He is reigning as sovereign Lord over it. And, since he is ahead of me, I can simply rest in His shadow.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty
- Psalm 91:1


Thankyou Jesus for giving me rest for my soul today. Thankyou that I can cast my burdens upon you because you care for me- that you go before me and I can rest in You as I trust and surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment