16 September 2011

But there is a Friend who is closer than a brother.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing...
- Ephesians 1:1

Two years ago my best friend moved away. Now, when I say "best friend" I must stress that I do not mean this in the normal sense of the term. Giselle and I have often spoken of how our best-friendship (or ultra-best-friendship, as we like to call it) is unlike anything known to any other friends that have ever walked the earth.
There is one exception, I think, and that is David and Jonathan.
In 1 Samuel 18:1 it says that "the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul."
This is probably more dramatic than I would have worded it, but it's the only thing I've ever heard or read that made me feel on some level like others understood the depth of connectedness that I've felt with Giselle.
Perhaps I'm entirely wrong, though, and foolish to think we're abnormal. Perhaps everyone has had the opportunity to cherish multiple friendships like this. I hope they have. But certainly, I have never... To be honest I do not really think it is possible for me to experience such an incredible friendship again.
And, as I reflect on the love and blessing and challenge to spiritual growth that the Lord poured out on me through this intense and intimate friendship, I cannot help but recognize His grace and kindness to me. My friendship with Giselle has been one of the greatest spiritual blessings the Lord has given me, using it to encourage my heart, strengthen my sense of his work in my life, and remind me of my absolute need for the Body.


Thank you Lord for the blessing of friendship that you have poured out. Thank you for being to me "a friend who is closer than a brother", but for also providing Giselle for sake of my joy and spiritual growth. You are the giver of good gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment