18 June 2011

Friday June 17, 2011

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD
- Joshua 24:15




But as for me, it is good to be near God. 
   I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; 
   I will tell of all your deeds.

- Psalm 73:28




This week I have just been feeling so discouraged. Between finding out some really sad news and spending time with numerous people who just seem to be rejecting the grace of God that they have previously received, I was disheartened. 


I reflected a lot this week, thinking about the current state of a few people who have been very meaningful influences in my life. I wept as I considered how so many of them had drawn near to God and seemingly known Him so well, only to walk away as they began to believe lies and call disobedience "right". It just hurts my heart so deeply, and I have been burdened with how it must hurt the Father's heart even more.


The Lord's faithfulness has shone through this week, however. He has reminded me through the story in Joshua 24, Psalm 73, and through a beautiful song by "Enter the Worship Circle", that HE has moved in miraculous and undeniable ways in my life and in the lives of others. If they choose to deny His glory and turn to disobedience after having seen Him, then (while my heart breaks a million times over) it is for them to decide.


Hebrews 3:13 says, "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness." I most certainly have a responsibility to encourage other believers in their walk. And I will weep and pray and mourn those who are struggling. But, at the end of the day if someone chooses to walk away, believing false doctrine that denies Jesus and the good, sovereign Lord He is, all I can really do is declare that "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord. As for me, it's good to be near to You".




Lord Jesus I pray that by your grace you would uphold me and my house as worshippers. Help us to see your glory and walk in your Spirit. I pray, Lord for my friends who, though they have seen your truth, are walking away. I pray that you would show them more of yourself, open their eyes to the ways in which they are being so foolish, remind them that the nearness of God is their good. Help me to love them as I should, and to not become disheartened by the way in which they walk, but instead to hold fast to Jesus- having Hope in the fact that as for me it is good to be near to You.





No comments:

Post a Comment