11 June 2011

Saturday June 11, 2011

Camp holds a place of pure affection in my heart. 
Most years I come to a point where I hate the insane hours, sleepless nights, and bizarre working conditions, and inevitably tell myself that I will never go back again. But somehow, I always end up going back. Despite the chaos, camp is this beautiful and sacred place where God works in miraculous ways. While I do not necessarily believe in holy places, I do believe in a holy God, whose Spirit is powerfully at work on the camp property. Being out there for the work-day today, I could almost feel Him- the density of His presence in that place, after 75 years of His people serving obediently on that ground.


"Take off your sandals, for the place where you stand is holy ground"
- Exodus 3:5


As for me, I have seen countless children be spurred on in their faith, coming to understand Christ more through their short weeks on site. And despite our ever-so-crappy facilities and the toxic-wasteland that we call the lake, I have consistently been transformed by my summers there- meeting with Jesus and drawing nearer to Him in increasingly significant ways.
I love camp.


Today while we were working (Lisa and I had the pleasure of weeding the garden. I don't say that facetiously: I really did consider it a pleasure to pull weeds!), a wonderful old man named David told me how sad it was that we had to leave camp and return to a down-town apartment at the end of the night. I obviously agreed, but I assure him that it was alright because Brian and I would be spending our whole summer out at camp. David said "Well! The Lord has blessed you greatly!" 


How remarkably right he was! Back in October the Lord spoke to both Brian and myself, causing us to believe that he wanted us to spend this summer out at camp. While it didn't make sense financially and we didn't have a position to fill, we were certain that it was the Lord's leading. And, of course, He has proved Himself faithful to show up and provide in ways I could never have imagined. He opened positions for each of us, found us a house-sitter for the summer, released us from our jobs, and has enabled us to walk in obedience and blessing! We get to spend the entire summer worshipping Jesus in beautiful community with people we love. We get to see God at work in one of the most sacred places in the entire world. We get to serve in ministry together as a married couple. The Lord has blessed us greatly!





Better is one day in your courts 
   than a thousand elsewhere; 
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God 
   than dwell in the tents of the wicked. 

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; 
   the LORD bestows favor and honor; 

LORD Almighty, 
   blessed is the one who trusts in you.

- Psalm 84:10,12



Thankyou Lord for calling us so clearly to camp. Thankyou for your unbelievable work in and through that place- I pray that your Holy Spirit would be oh-so-present and at work there this summer. Fill us with your hope and joy so that we are able to pour out, love, and serve our co-workers and campers. I pray, above all, that you would show us your Glory this summer; that we would wait expectantly and worship you together as we see more of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment