8 June 2011

Tuesday June 7th, 2011

 As the deer pants for streams of water, 
   so my soul pants for you, my God. 
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. 
   When can I go and meet with God? 
...Deep calls to deep 

   in the roar of your waterfalls; 
all your waves and breakers 
   have swept over me."
Psalm 42: 1-2,7

At work today I began training a new girl. She's absolutely lovely and we got along really well right from the start. While we ate our lunch in the back room, we talked a bit about our lives outside of work, and the fact that Brian and I are working at a camp this summer came up. 
She asked what kind of a camp it was and I reluctantly responded, "A Bible camp" (did I really want to get seem like I was some religious bible-thumper on our first day of meeting?). But as our conversation went on, we got deeper into the stuff of our lives and she began to ask more and more about what religion I follow.

It turns out that she's Catholic. Well... she grew up in a Catholic home, at least. She shared with me that she's really been struggling with the Catholic Church. What she really wants is a relationship with God- to grow deeper in her spiritual walk rather than just participate in ceremonies and rituals.
I could not believe what I was hearing. 

I was so excited to hear her genuine desire to learn more about Christ, to be in community, and to find something deeper than just rules and regulations. What a beautiful thing. Deep calls out to deep: Her spirit is longing for the Spirit of Christ!

Thankyou, Lord, for placing developing a desire for YOU in our hearts. Thankyou that YOU, in your great mercy, are the one who loves us and calls us back to relationship with yourself! What grace! Thankyou that we are saved through your grace and not through our own efforts or rules... just by the cross of Christ. I pray for my new friend. Would you draw her near to yourself and satisfy her soul with the living water that comes from you alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment