30 March 2012

God of Justice

"but let justice roll down like water, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." 
- amos 5:24


As I learn one sad story after another of women and children who are sold, deceived, or forced in to sex slavery, my longing for Your return is ever-increasing. How long, oh Lord, until you bring forth justice for the oppressed? How long, oh Lord, until you meet these evil men with the punishment they deserve, and the abused and forgotten with the comfort that only you can give?


In the 103rd Psalm, you declare that "the Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed". I want to see that. Jesus, I want you to come back and deal rightly with those who have blood on their hands. "Come, Lord Jesus, come" (Rev 22:20).


And yet, Lord, I know that while I selfishly desire your return- so desperately- if these girls never come to you in faith, they too will be under the wrath of God. What a difficult thing for me to wrap my mind around. I hate that it is that way- I hate that people who have suffered may never know rest. Yet I cannot deny that your word reveals that without faith in Christ, none can be a friend of God. And your ways are fair, just, and right... even if I don't understand them.


So I need to go. To all the poor and powerless, to all the abused and oppressed, and bring your justice, comfort, and gospel of peace. Oh Lord, as I so eagerly await your return, longing for the day when I see you face to face and your justice rolls down like water... Oh Lord, help me to go and spread the news of all that you have done in Christ, that the oppressed might finally find their freedom (Luke 4:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment